Monday, December 19, 2005

What do I want for Christmas? Only a Mountain. With you there.

"If you're going to give me coal for Christmas," my brother tells me, "I prefer the bituminous variety." (Hmmm, wonder which variety Bush favors?) Then bro asks: "What do you want this year?"

I dodge this question. I rarely want anything small, manageable, gift-wrap-able.

As kids, we used to flip feverishly through the hefty Sears-Roebuck catalogue with our greedy, little fingers, circling toy after toy. (Hey, Mom, I'm still waiting for that slick, red sled, by the way!)

'Course we never got any of that crap. But we fell under the spell of desire. I started to long for toys that promised hours of happiness - and more! I might become that pretty, smiling girl in the photo. If only I had that doll.

But we're wiser now. Well, we pretend to be. We make-believe those ads for the latest whatamacallit doohickey isn't making our current thingamabob seem archaic, obsolete.

'Cause we don't want to fall behind the times, do we? And upgrading our systems has nearly become analogous with upgrading our very selves (as if we are the machines in need of the new and improved part).

But this holiday season (without any technological purchase at all), there's a gift that has the power to put us ahead of our times.

Brokeback Mountain, Ang Lee's adaptation of a short story by Annie Proulx, has been classified as "O" (Morally Offensive) by the USCCB (US Conference of Catholic Bishops) despite reviewing the film as a serious contemplation of loneliness and connection.

So...what do I want for Christmas?

A vote for the "moral value" of social justice and a large turn-out of voters.

Cast your ballot at the box office.

2 repartee:

Blogger classic chic wrote...

I'm going to see this over the holidays. Promise!

12/20/2005 11:38 AM  
Anonymous Wolfboy wrote...

I think I'm going to have to wait until after the holidays as it has yet to arrive my neck of the woods.. but I eagerly await seeing it when it does!

12/23/2005 2:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home