Sunday, June 04, 2006

P. M. Mess

P. M. Mess has visited again. At the door, I told IT I wouldn’t receive IT anymore. I declared IT wasn’t welcome here. I offered no hospitable smile. I set out no bright-orange juice, no honey-colored toast. (The hour was early—just before breakfast.) And yet, into the parlor IT came, sitting without ceremony: slumping heavily, so heavily, upon my buttery-blue chair.

“What do you want with me?” I asked, but IT didn’t answer. IT’s a surly guest, at best, so I decided not to provoke IT further. Does one press Jack the Ripper at his intentions? I think not! Best not to know the gritty details.

I did proffer a few words of chit-chat - I can’t help myself! I’m too well-bred to allow for extended gaps of silence between such intimate strangers, but I don’t think IT listened at all. I think IT knew my prattle was only a pretense; the wrappings of civility to conceal the severe indignity of my situation.

In ITs presence, the morning light fled from the room, as if the sun couldn’t bear to shed one single ray upon my rude guest, which seemed immensely inspired by the dark. I reached for something — a light switch, I think — but IT rose from the chair, and beneath ITs shadow, I shrank in size, diminishing swiftly, as if I was a mere speck of dust in what should have been my own space; my safe harbor; my sweet sanctuary.

Yes, dear readers, I’m constantly changing the locks to my doors, but each and every month, IT unbolts me.

21 repartee:

Blogger Charlie wrote...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6/05/2006 10:21 AM  
Blogger mysticgypsy wrote...

Hi Frankengirl!
I thought IT had to with computers for a moment :P
aww hope you are feeling better! :)

6/05/2006 10:40 AM  
Blogger frankengirl wrote...

Hello, MysticGypsy!!! Thank you! Actually, this was a journal entry and I wavered on posting it at all. YES, I am feeling better, especially when I see you floating freely about this realm! - :D

P.S. Have you found any trace of Neddy yet? Is he having a heated conversations in the North or is he lazing about the South? His active mind needs stimulating conversation - so if you find him in the South, I think we must draw him to the North for a bit - ;)

6/05/2006 10:56 AM  
Blogger frankengirl wrote...

Admiral, your commment had me giggling! Why did you delete it?!

~ Ms. Doriana

6/05/2006 10:57 AM  
Blogger mysticgypsy wrote...

Hi Frankengirl!
Thank you for the warm welcome! It is always a delight to see yet another interesting post of yours!

I was just musing about Ned on my blog as well. hmm Ned does seem to be detained longer in the South since we haven't heard or seen much of him lately. I daresay he is bored out of his wits over there. I suggest we ask Pilot (if he isn't with him that is), or perhaps it would be worthwhile to journey to Milton and call on Nicholas?

6/05/2006 11:10 AM  
Blogger frankengirl wrote...

Ah, Pilot! Yes, an excellent informant and inconspicuous spy! - ;) Though if he’s stuck in the South with his master, he may be getting lackadaisical, too, I daresay, and be in bad humor. As the saying goes, should we “let a sleeping dog lie” ?

6/05/2006 11:45 AM  
Blogger Cristina wrote...

I have loved reading this post, bugging as IT can be. I totally identify with that crawling feeling you describe so well. Though there's always something about IT and the feelings IT brings that you can't just put into words, can you?

6/05/2006 1:54 PM  
Blogger JLB wrote...

Well written FrankenGirl - I'm so glad you decided to share. IT usually slaps me upside the face, leaving my head with a ringing migraine for days on end!

6/05/2006 1:57 PM  
Blogger frankengirl wrote...

Cristina! So glad you enjoyed reading about IT.

“Though there's always something about IT and the feelings IT brings that you can't just put into words, can you?”

YES, I think you’ve absolutely captured “IT” !!! - ;)

6/05/2006 2:25 PM  
Blogger frankengirl wrote...

JLB! Thanks for the encouragement - :)

“IT usually slaps me upside the face, leaving my head with a ringing migraine for days on end!”

Ouch! Your poor head :( IT can be so savage!!!

6/05/2006 2:29 PM  
Blogger Charlie wrote...

FG: Blogger sure is messed up today.

I moved my comment to last week's post; this one seemed too "soulful" for tomfoolery.


You are a poet in prose.

6/05/2006 3:13 PM  
Blogger frankengirl wrote...

Thank you, Dear Pooper, for the compliment. It means a lot, coming from you.


P.S. Perhaps Blogger suffers from PMS, too? - :P

6/05/2006 3:24 PM  
Blogger actonbell wrote...

IT's no fair. Leaves more than half the population alone, and picks on a few. Bully.
Glad you're feeling better:) Great post!

6/05/2006 6:46 PM  
Blogger Sophia wrote...

IT, Betty, my friend from out of town...whatever we choose to call IT, IT sucks!! While recurring, at least IT only lasts a short while.

Great post!

6/06/2006 5:29 AM  
Blogger mysticgypsy wrote...

"Ah, Pilot! Yes, an excellent informant and inconspicuous spy! - ;)"

oooh shall we ask him what he saw? This would be fun!

6/06/2006 9:17 AM  
Blogger Marti wrote...

Perhaps it is best to think of it as a tidal wave. It is going to wash over you no matter what - all you can do is float to the top when it recedes LOL

Hope you're better soon!

(the old woman who is enjoying one of the few pleasures of menopause - no more PMS LOL)

6/06/2006 9:44 AM  
Blogger frankengirl wrote...

ActonBell!

Ha! Yes, “bully” is perfect! Or “Betty the Bully,” hehe, if I combine your and Sophia’s comment!

Sophia!

Yes, thank goodness IT’s only a Visitor, not a Permanent Resident!!!

6/06/2006 9:54 AM  
Blogger frankengirl wrote...

MysticGypsy!

Oh, I bet you can talk to animals! You must tell me all the secrets that Pilot pours into your ears - ;)

6/06/2006 10:04 AM  
Blogger frankengirl wrote...

Hi, Marti!

I love your “tidal wave” image and rising again when the wave has washed over you – very beautiful!

As for menopause, I hear such fascinating anecdotes!!! Some women say they feel a physical freedom that they remember enjoying when they were ten or eleven or twelve, before they started to schedule their lives around their period as well as associated moods!

6/06/2006 10:04 AM  
Blogger Kyahgirl wrote...

well, I've made you wade through all my PMS woes so I'm sure you'll believe me when I say 'I understand'.

Hang in there girlfriend!

6/06/2006 4:45 PM  
Blogger frankengirl wrote...

Hi, Kyahgirl!

Yes, I know you understand! Thanks for being such an inspiration and for your compassion to yourself and others.

6/07/2006 5:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home